Unimpressed, I made this salad out of spite. I'm incredibly stubborn when I want to be and dammit, I wanted to prove them wrong. So here it is
Kale Caesar Salad (with added massaged onion)
For the onions
- 1 large red onion
- a generous splash of lemon juice
- a pinch of salt
For the salad
- Lots and lots of kale (a big bags worth), torn into bite size pieces
- Croutons/crackers, crushed. About 1 cup worth
For the dressing
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5 tsp capers, minced
- 1/2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- a splash of tamari
- Juice of one small lemon
- 3/4 cup good quality olive oil
- salt and pepper
For the parmesan topping
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 clove garlic
- pinch of salt
- Firstly you want to thinly slice the red onion. Add it to a bowl with the lemon and salt and massage for a few minutes, until they go a beautiful bright pink and get a little soft. Set aside
- Tear the kale into small pieces and put into a large bowl. Add a drizzle of olive oil, a splash of lemon and a little salt. Massage for 3 minutes or so, you'll notice the leaves begin to get tender and wilt. Add the crushed croutons. Set aside
- Mix together all the dressing ingredients with a whisk. If you don't have a garlic press, just blitz the garlic and capers in a food processor. Set aside.
- To make the parmesan topping, blitz the cashews and garlic together in a food processor.
- Assemble the salad by adding the onions and dressing to the kale and croutons. Use tongs or clean hands to mix it all together. Sprinkle on a generous amount of the topping, give it a quick toss and then serve.
Makes 4 generous portions
I served mine with fried seitan and it was awesome!
Hopefully we've learnt a valuable lesson from this. When it comes to kale, I'm always right.