Just like the stuff from the takeaways.
I decided to make this to go with my edamame because apparently it's not socially acceptable to eat nothing but edamame for weeks on end...unfortunately :(
My top tip for this is to freeze the tofu beforehand and then thaw before you need to press it. It makes the tofu nice and chewy.
Chilli, Salt and Pepper Tofu
- 1 package of firm tofu
- 3-4 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 1 pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 small bunch spring onions, sliced
- Soy sauce
- Press the tofu by wrapping it in a towel and putting something heavy on it for about an hour.
- Chop the tofu up into cubes. Add to a bowl of cornflour and toss until all the cubes are coated
- Sprinkle the cubes with the salt, pepper and brown sugar
- Heat the oil up in the pan and fry off the tofu until golden. After a few minutes add the chilli and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Tip into a bowl and put to one side.
- Add a little more oil if you think you need it and fry up the pepper and spring onions. When soft add the tofu back in, splash with soy sauce and fry for a few more minutes before serving.
I had mine with some udon noodles that I fried up with a wee bit of sweet soy sauce and some cooking sake.